Women in Economics Network (WEN)
Welcome to the NSW Branch Women in Economics Network (WEN). The branch’s WEN is part of a national Women in Economics Network (WEN) that is linked to the Economic Society of Australia that has been formed to promote and support the careers of female economists in Australia.
The objectives for the Women in Economics Network are to:
- professionally connect and support the career development of women in economics
- increase the representation of women at all levels of the economics profession
- promote public contributions by female economists.
Men are welcome (and encouraged) to become members of WEN and attend most WEN events. However, some of the activities of the WEN such as the Women in Economics Retreat, mentoring program and media register are targeted specifically at women.
The WEN has a number of activities planned for the next few years. These include:
- Regular events – seminars on economic issues featuring female speakers as well as professional development and networking events
- An annual women in economics retreat for junior and mid-career women
- A mentoring program – where junior women are matched with senior women in their sector
- A media and public speaking register – designed to provide media outlets and conference organisers with a list of qualified women when they are looking for economists
- Advocating for women in economics – using our website, newsletter, social media and special sessions at the Australian Conference of Economists to promote the careers and research of female economists
- A pipeline program – initiatives to promote economics as a career to female students at school and universities.
WEN NSW Committee
- Dr Kar Mei Tang (Chair) Chief Circular Economist, NSW Circular
- Bronwyn Taylor (Deputy Chair) Senior Economist, HoustonKemp Economists
- Stephanie Flechas (Secretary) Policy Advisor, Australian Energy Market Commission
- Rhiannon Yetsenga (Treasurer) Analyst, Deloitte Access Economics
- Evie Fox Koob (Committee Member) Analyst, Deloitte Access Economics
- Dr Anam Bilgrami (Committee Member) Research Fellow, Macquarie University Centre for the Health Economy
- Eliza Ustin (Committee Member) Economist, Philip Norman & Associates Pty Ltd
- Shumi Ruan (Committee Member) University Tutor, University of Sydney
- Dominique du Cros (Committee Member) Associate Director, NSW Department of Premier & Cabinet
- Patricia Pascuzzo (Committee Member) Co-Founder, Customer Stewardship Australia